Pharmacy tin, medical treatment with original pills. For display only not for consumption or use. Printed on the tin is Pilulae Catharticae Comp., indicating contents, and marked on the top is Cathartic Co. The black enamel tin is 4 3/4" tall , 2 1/2" square, has threaded metal cap. Definitely from the Civil War era. Contains some original contents, about 1/3 full. Pilulae Catharticae Comp. is listed under the Civil War Pharmacy to be prescribed for use especially in cases of bilbous fever. It was composed of colcynith, Jalap, mild chloride mercury and gamboge. Considered a critical component of a Civil War Pharmacy it was carried in all of the horse drawn Medical wagons. According to directions concerning the duties of Medical Purveyors and Medical Store Keepers published by the surgeon generals office in 1863. This items was one of the medicines contained in field service medicine cases. Very few Civil War era pharmacy containers have tin tops. Many just used cork. Tin is in excellent condition, no rust a few minor dents.
This is the last of a massive 12000 piece pharmacy collection. This is the last and best of it all. We are in the process of preparing to list in the coming month. Currently for sale are 150+ pharmacy and drugstore items. ALL ON SALE. Glass bottles, apothecary jars, tins and boxes many unopened, some with original contents. To purchase with MC or VISA please call Drury House Antiques 802-824-4395 EST or use PAYPAL