This exquisite, 19th century Italian reliquary pendant is made of 800 quality silver, unmarked but tested.
On the front is a gold washed image of The Black Virgin of Oropa. This is a statue of the Virgin Mary located in the Sanctuary of Oropa, a Roman Catholic devotional complex in the comune of Biella, Piedmont, northern Italy. The image of the Virgin and Child Jesus is very beautiful. Around the edge are the words in Italian – Our Lady of Oropa Pray for Us.
The image is covered with glass and hinged to the left side. The exterior is gilded and has a decorative twisted design around the outside. At the top is a ring which bears an animal head hallmark and a bail for a chain.
It opens to reveal another lovely image on the left. This time it is the Miraculous Medal first struck in 1830 following the vision of Mary by St. Catherine Labouré of France. Again in Italian it reads ‘Mary conceived without sin pray for us when we have recourse to you’. The reliquary closes firmly.
This is a very old piece so inevitably there are some signs of age. However the essential areas are in fine condition. This beautiful reliquary will arrive in a gift box.
Italian 19C Silver Our Lady Reliquary Pendant