For your consideration, a watercolor and graphite nude study by the listed California artist Jack Laycox (1921-1984), circa late 1960’s-1970’s. The painting displays boldly stylized draftsmanship and a graphic and dynamic palette featuring modernist reds, blues, and subtle shades of black, dark gray, and deep chocolate browns and ochers. Jack Laycox was a California based illustrator of the highest order and this animated modernist work is a fine example of his figure studies. The work has a wonderful feeling of motion and spontaneity and is from Laycox’s most productive and creative period. The unframed work, on heavy textured stock, is in excellent condition and measures 20” x 17 ½”, and is signed by the artist. An exceptionally fine modernist nude study by a noteworthy mid-century American artist, and sure to look striking in your mid-century environment. JL-13
Jack Laycox grew up in Northern California and after receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree, took a job producing technical illustrations for the Atomic Energy Commission. During the 1950s and 1960s, he did commercial illustrations for the Donald Art Company. Throughout his career, Laycox has produced fine art watercolor paintings and lectured on art. He has exhibited in American Watercolor Society annuals and been active in regional Northern California art clubs and shows.
Jack Laycox (1921-1984)...Born: Auburn, CA
Corporation Patrons include:
• Cargil Corporation, Minneapolis, Minnesota,
• Ethyl Corporation, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. and
• Clorox Corporation, Oakland, California.
• International Business Machines,
• Hanover Trust Company and the
• National Science Foundation.
• Delta Air Lines
• Williamhouse Regency Cards for a series of water colors
• General Tire International Corporation
Museums and Publications:
• DeYoung of San Francisco,
• Royal Watercolor Society of London
• National Academy AWS Annuals in New York City.
• Book: "Dramatic paintings From Familiar Scenes" and Limited Edition Prints by Gallery Americana publications.
* The Fresno Art Center.
* San Bernardino County Art Museum.
* Zellerbach Center, San Francisco.
* Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, San Jose.
* Crocker Museum of Art in Sacramento.
* The Brand Art Museum in Glendale, California.
* The Society of Western Artists Annuals in San Francisco, Ca.
* The Wichita Centennial in Wichita Kansas
* The Palace of Fine Arts Festival in San Francisco
* The Contemporary American Art Exhibitions in Tokyo and Kyoto, Japan
* The American Watercolor Society in New York City.
* The West Coast Water Color Society Annual
* The Royal Watercolor Society of London, and many others.
21 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Offering Paintings, Art Glass, Ceramics and Fine Collectables, Specializing in Mid-Century