The Chester (PA) - Bridgeport (NJ) ferry was in operation from July 1, 1930 until February 1, 1974. The fleet was made up of three ferries and they had maximum capacities of 48 - 60 & 75 cars. The route across the Delaware was about a mile and took approximately 6 minutes. The fare on opening day was 75 cents for passenger cars. The service ran year round, regardless of weather, and ran 24 hours a day in the summer months. The service was discontinued after the completion of the Commodore Barry Bridge which spanned the Delaware above the ferry route.
Offered by Yellow Garage dealer Mead Shaffer is this rare framed porcelain trade sign pointing the way to the Chester Bridgeport Ferry. The sign retains its bold colors and striking illustration of the ferry. Having lived most of its life outside, the sign displays age appropriate weathering. The pictures fairly represent the sign’s condition. This Chester - Bridgeport Ferry sign is a wonderful reminder of a long ago era along the Delaware River.
Measures: Frame: 11 1\2” X 8 1\2 Inside Frame: 9 1\2” X 6 3\8”