John Nicholson b1920 - 'P.S Ravenswood & P.S. Lorna Doone 5th June 1893' ~
This stunning oil on canvas depicts the two paddle steamers sailing along side one another at twilight with a full passenger compliment.
It is titled bottom left :-
'P.S. RAVENSWOOD & P.S. LORNA DOONE. 5 JUNE 1893'
and signed to the bottom right :-
~ John Nicholson ~
John is one of only a few of the the most popular Postcard Liner artists who is still alive today. He is well known for his attractive color illustrations in many of today's shipping magazines as well as his past postcard and poster work. John lives and works in Leeds and is particularly well known for his illustrations of paddle steamers and ocean liners. His early work including postcards for the publishers J. Salmon and Company.
~ P.S. Ravenswood ~
She was built by S McKnight & Co Ayr and in service from 1891 to 1955. Originally Ravenswood had two haystack boilers and two funnels as in this painting. After reconditioning and reboilering in 1909 she received a single, tall funnel and the bridge was moved from between her paddle boxes to forward of her funnel. She began her service on the Bristol to Ilfracombe service and was later used extensively for work from Bristol and the South Wales ports. For three seasons before the First World War she sailed from Brighton. After war service she was back in Bristol but also had spells at Cardiff and again on the South Coast. After the Second World War she was reconditioned and appeared, for some reason, with a disguised paddle box. In 1954 she received a mainmast to carry navigation lights. In 1955 she failed her Board of Trade survey and due to Campbell's sad economic plight it was not felt to be worth reconditioning her and she was broken up at Newport after failing to find a buyer. After 64 years service and having the honour of being the first ship specifically built for Campbell's Bristol service, she had a proud and distinguished career.
~ P.S. Lorna Doone ~
Lorna Doone was built in 1891 for Bristol Channel work, but was unable to compete with the strong P & A Campbell fleet. She was brought to the South Coast, sold to the Southampton Company in 1898. Lorna Doone originally had a norrow fore saloon and open foredeck. She was re-boilered in 1898 and received two funnels, reverting to a single funnel when it was deemed necessary to re-boiler her again only two years later. Her promenade deck was later extended to the bow, and she received a full width fore saloon. Her funnel colours were originally white (later with black top) before receiving "Red Funnel" colours in the 1930s. Lorna Doone was not refitted after the second war, being scrapped in 1946.
~ Dimensions ~
The frame is 36 inches (92cm) wide by 25.5 inches (65cm) tall. The painting is 29.5 inches (75cm) wide by 19.25 inches (49cm) tall. The total weight is 4.2kg
~ Condition ~
Both the frame and the painting are in very good, clean condition.
10 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Historic Pieces From The Historic Dockyard
The Largest Antiques Centre On England's South Coast