~ WW2 Royal Navy Auxiliary Fleet Bronze Bell of 1945 HMS Solway Firth – Aircraft Engine Repair Ship ~
~ HMS Solway Firth ~
A large and heavy original ships bell from the Aircraft Engine Repair Ship of the Royal Navy HMS Solway Firth.
Her keel was laid down on January 22nd 1944. Subsequently requisitioned by the Admiralty for conversion into the first of three Aircraft Engine Repair Ships.
She was launched on October 31st 1944. She commissioned as HMS Solway Firth on July 18th 1945, Captain Malcolm Farquhar, RN in command. The July 1945 Navy List details 14 officers appointed to the ship.
Like her sister ships of the ‘Moray Firth’ class HMS Solway Firth carried two large twin engine lighters for ferrying engines and stores to and from the aircraft carriers or from shore bases. She arrived on 26 August 1971 at Bilbao, Spain for scrapping.
The bell is made of bronze with the ships name and date of launch on the front and government broad arrow on the reverse.
The bell does not have its clapper.
It comes with a wooden name plaque which has more information about the ship imprinted upon it. Please see pictures for details.
~ Condition ~
There is some oxidation in parts and general wear associated with age. On the name engraving, the led inlay has some missing pieces, specifically “W” & “A”. It appears to have white paint splatters but this can easily be cleaned. Otherwise the bell is in a good condition with no damages.
As mentioned the bell does not have its clapper.
The wooden name plaque is in excellent condition, with wall hooks, although some of the lettering is faded.
~ Dimensions ~
The bell has a diameter of 32cm (12.5 inches) and a height of 40cm (15.75 inches).
It weighs approximately 19.33kg.
The wooden name plaque is 39cm by 43cm and weighs 2.1kg.
WW2 Royal Navy Auxiliary Fleet Bronze Bell of 1945 HMS Solway Firth – Aircraft Engine Repair Ship
|Shipping:||Arrange with Seller|