An English one-quart capacity tankard with a spout for pouring on one side, dating to the mid-nineteenth century.
Size: approximately 6¼” tall (the highest point on the handle) x 6¾” wide (across the handle) x 6” deep (across the spout. The base measures about 4¾” in diameter. The piece weighs about two pounds, 4¼ ounces.
The piece bears several stamp marks, including the capacity indicator, “QUART,” a horse (likely the white horse of Kent), and two excise marks, both bearing a crown over the initials VR (for Queen Victoria), one dating from the period before 1878 and one after 1878. The later, smaller, excise mark bears the number 341, indicating Kent. This points to the tankard’s capacity having been verified at least two times, both during the reign of Victoria. On the basis of the excise marks, we estimate that the piece dates from the mid-nineteenth century, the 1860s-1870s.
There are no maker’s touch marks on the tankard.
The words “Ewe & Lamb Wittersham” are etched on the side opposite the handle. The Ewe & Lamb was a public house near Dover in Kent, operating from the early 1800s until well into the 20th century. According to information available on the internet, the building still stands, although it is now a private residence.
Condition: very good for a piece this age and of this type. There are minor surface scratches and dents, which should be expected in a piece that has seen at least some use over the years, with more noticeable dents on the inner surface of the handle. On the bottom of the tankard is a label and and a name and number scratched into the metal. These were put on by the previous owner (a personal family member, who had an extensive collection of pewter), both for her own reference and for insurance purposes.
We have done our best to show such damage and flaws in the photographs we submit with this listing.
2 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List