Le Mur du Presbytere (The Wall of the Rectory] is an original proof etching by Alphonse Legros.
Alphonse Legros (1837-1921) was born in France but moved to England in 1863 on the advice of his friend, Whistler. A master etcher of figure subjects, portraits and landscapes, Legros assumed the head professorship of etching and engraving at the Royal College in South Kensington in 1875. He later became the professor of art at the Slade School of Art, London.
This etching is fine, rich impression of an old church building and wall, a ruined tower above. There are two horses in the front center, and a man dragging wheat to the left. It is signed in pencil by the artist in the lower right side c. 1890 and numbered 335. It's in good condition. This etching is closely aligned with a number of Rembrandt's smaller landscapes; in particular the tower and dense wooded areas in front of it and at the left, attest to Legros' love of the work of the master.
The plate size is 5 ¼" x 7 ¼". The seller's great grandfather purchased this piece in 1920 from C.W. Kraushaar Art Galleries (They have the original receipt). This etching is rare since there was only one state, according to the receipt.
21 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Treasures from History
Please feel free to make an offer!