Exceptional early 1800s Austrian Empire silver ewer of baluster form, finely crafted in Vienna 1810. Standing on a reeded circular base, the 11" tall ewer decorated with gadrooned borders, and features a majestic upwardly sweeping scroll handle with meticulously detailed dog-head and neoclassical mascaron mounts. The simplicity of the elegant baluster body serves to emphasize the outstanding figural elements of this remarkable piece - remarkable not only in its design and skilled craftsmanship, but by its most prestigious provenance.
The ewer bears the royal crown and monogram of Princess Marie-Clémentine of Austria, who married Prince Léopold de Bourbon-Siciles in 1816. Their daughter, Marie-Caroline (1822-1869), married Prince Henri Eugène Philippe d'Orléans, Duc d'Aumale, in 1844. Prince Henri was a son of King Louis-Philippe, who was the last king of France from 1830-1848). After Louis-Philippe's abdication and subsequent exile, Henri headed up the Royalist movement dedicated to restoring the Monarchy in France. Until its acquisition by Bonheur du Jour, the silver ewer has remained the property of this French royal family, most lately belonging to the heir to the succession (that is, to the man who would be King of France were the Royalists in power today).
The ewer is stamped with the French silver import mark, maker's mark, and city mark for VIENNA 1810. As the marks are rather rubbed it is difficult to determine whether the Loth silver fineness mark is 13 (.813) or 15 (.937). For this reason we are not stating the ewer as sterling silver. Clear images of the marks are shown in the photos. This splendid ewer, with a most impressive pedigree, is in very good antique condition with just some spots/discoloration to note. Please refer to listing photos for measurements and weight.