Circa 1905 cobalt blue German porcelain toothpick holder in the shape of a drum. Central view panel shows a nice hand colored image of the fancy multi-storied building that once was the, "Auditorium, Topeka, Kas." Topeka's municipal auditorium was located on Quincy street between Seventh and Eighth streets. Construction began in the late 1880's and the building was completed in September of 1900 at a cost of $102,000. It also housed City Hall and the Fire Department. The building was demolished in 1937 to make way for construction of a new town hall and municipal building on the same site. Images of the original old building such as the one seen on this souvenir piece, are now all that remain of it.
Condition: Wear to gold decoration, light scratches visible in cobalt surface, two obvious manufacturing flaws. One flaw is a kiln inclusion on the rim of the holder and the other is a glaze skip on the lower back edge (illustrated). Circular bottom mark, "Wheelock Dresden Germany."
Measures 2 1/4 inches tall and 1 2/4 inches in diameter.
23 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Uncommon antiques for the investor and choice collectibles for the clever collector.
COLLECTION: A time machine on a shelf; a museum in the kitchen. Reach out to touch the memory of sweet childhood laughter.