Wagner & Apel was founded in 1877 as Kuch & Company. Bernhard Wagner was one of the first employees. In 1883 he purchased a stake in the organization. In 1901, Bernhard Wagner, Anton Apel and Bernhard Apel purchased the rest of Kuch & Company. They renamed the company Wagner & Apel 1877.
World War II brought significant changes to Wagner & Apel. Lippelsdorf, the city where the company was located was in East Germany. Wagner & Apel became state-owned and rather than give up their heritage, the Wagner & Apel family members stayed with the company as employees. After the fall of the Berlin Wall in November 1989, Bernhard Wagner's heirs were able to regain ownership of their family business.
The company's most popular figurines at the turn of the century were based on the drawings of two popular children's book illustrators , Hilla Peyk and Bertram. A century later, these same figurines are still loved by Wagner & Apel customers!
This rearing horse figurine is four and one-half inches tall. He has the green "W&A" mark that dates him to between 1935 and 1949. He is in excellent condition and free of chips or cracks.
Wagner & Apel Rearing Horse Ceramic Figurine