The first candy containers were shaped like Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in celebration of the Centennial Exposition in 1876 in Philadelphia, but by the early 1900s, candy containers were being produced in many different sizes and shapes. The candy was sold in dime stores, at souvenir stands, and even through mail order catalogs. After the candy was gone the containers actually doubled as toys for many boys and girls.
A number of well known Pennsylvania glass companies produced candy containers including Westmoreland Glass Company, Jeannette Glass Company, Victory Glass, and L. E. Smith . Some Victory Glass pieces are marked with a raised V over G logo in the glass. Pre-Depression candy containers were usually sealed with metal components. Production stopped during the Great Depression but when it resumed in the 1940s, metal was scarce due to the war effort so cardboard, cork and wood was used to seal them.
Offered is a pre-depression candy container which is shaped like a lantern. It has a metal lid and metal lantern bail. On the bottom of the container is the manufacturer's name, Victory Glass Inc., Jeanette, Pa. The container is 3 and 3/4 inches tall and it is in exceptional condition, free of any chips or cracks. The metal lid screws on and off easily and still has 50% or better of its original plating.
Early Glass Lantern Candy Container made by Victory Glass Company