The S. Kirk and Son silver company began in 1815 in Philadelphia when Samuel Kirk finished his apprenticeship under the expert silversmith, James Howell.
After Henry Child Kirk (Samuel's eldest son) became a partner in 1846, the company would begin introducing Americans to the repoussé treatment of silverware.
The outside edge has beautiful, romantic repoussé detailing in the form of flowers and leaves. The center has a basket weave chased into the silver. There is a shield on the top that has not been monogrammed.
This claw-footed dish is an exemplar of the S. Kirk and Son legacy, characterized by its floral ornamentation and exquisite craftsmanship.
These calling card trays were typically in a foyer in Victorian homes, in order to receive calling cards from visitors.
The underside shows "S. Kirk and Son Co. 925/1000 1706."
In beautiful antique condition, with only a little wear, this piece is a great item for any any sterling collector If you are not a collector, this is a beautiful piece for calling cards, or a gorgeous tray to hold any number of items.
Measures 6" in diameter and ¾" tall.
This is 152.1 grams (or 5.34 oz) of silver Measures 6" diameter, 3/4" tall