Charles Walter Clewell’s (1876-1965) chemistry experiments resulted in his closely held technique for coating ceramics in copper and bronze, and then patinating them. This small bowl, designed in the arts and crafts style, was probably produced not long after he opened his business in 1909. Clewell bought his pottery blanks from nearby Ohio potteries such as Weller, Roseville, Knowles, and Owens, and then electroplated them using the secret technique that he took with him to his grave.
This beautiful low bowl bridges the ceramic-metalware divide with the organic appeal of early 20th century art pottery and the riveted copper form of the Arts and Crafts movement. A small bronze plaque with a W is centered on one panel. The interior is not metal-clad and is glazed in a deep red-brown. The bottom is marked “Clewell Canton O” for Canton, Ohio. Small areas of oxidation on the rim show in the photos.
Approximately 4 inches in diameter and 1 and half inches tall.