This item from Scholaert Cassel Galleries is now in the Shop Backroom
More from Scholaert Cassel Galleries
Webb Corbett "Cardinal" Pattern Crystal Desert Plates
These are gorgeous Webb Corbett crystal desert plate in the Cardinal pattern. They date from about 1947 to 1965.
Dimensions: Approximately 16 cm (6 3/8 in) diameter.
Condition: Very good. No chips, cracks, or repairs. Some minor surface wear consistent with age.
Note: We sell our crystal tableware by the piece. This allows our buyers to complete a specific setting or to create their own settings. Discounts are available on orders of more than 1 item.
A Note about the Manufacturer:
The glass industry in the UK's Stourbridge area dates back to the 17th century when refugee 'gentlemen glass makers' from Lorraine settled there attracted by the abundant supplies of coal and clay for their melting pots. At first they made window glass and bottles, but in the 18th century following the invention of lead glass, they began producing the tableware and ornamental glass for which Stourbridge has become world-famous.
The site of the Coalbournhill glass works was occupied in the 1770s by two cone shaped glass works, but they were demolished many years ago and what was then a modern glass house was erected after the First World War. The golden age of the Stourbridge glass industry was the 19th century when many new firms were established and new colours and decorating techniques pioneered locally.
Today the glass industry is much less extensive than it was, with a handful of factories still operating on their historic sites. These include Royal Brierley Crystal, Royal Doulton Crystal and Stuart Crystal.
Webb and Corbett Ltd was one of these local glassworks. It was founded just over a century ago in 1897 at an old cone shaped glass house called the White House at Wordsley, a parish adjoining Amblecote in the UK. The partners were Thomas Webb and George Corbett who were both connected with the important decorative glass manufacturing firm of Thomas Webb and Sons.
Their business at the White House glass works flourished, but in 1913 they gave up their lease of the White House and moved to the Coalbournhill works.
Designers such as Irene Smith, David Queensbury and David Smith were employed by Webb Corbett at various points in the company's prominent history.
In 1953, the name of the company was changed from Webb and Corbett to Webb Corbett. In 1969 the Webb Corbett business was taken over by the Stoke-on-Trent pottery makers Doulton and in 1980 the name was changed from Webb Corbett to Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd.
The Webb Corbett name was eventually discontinued in 1986 and all products from this glassworks have been marketed now as Royal Doulton Crystal.
If you were the pending buyer of this item, go to My Account to view, track and check payment for this item.