We would like to offer for sale a rare pair of Exhibition Doulton Lambeth glazed stoneware Heraldic Lions, circa 1870 – 1890. The lions present as matched opposites, each sitting upright, each with a raised front paw resting on a family crest. They evidently were made to go on either side of an entrance and appear to be guarding their domain. We have ascertained that they were probably produced specifically for a client to exhibit at one of the later 19th century Philadelphia Exhibitions. We have even been told that they once graced the doors of one of the Hearst estates.
They are fantastic pieces and weigh close to 100 pounds each. The Doulton Lambeth Company was known for its ornamental stoneware, which reached its popularity in the latter part of the 19th century. Their stoneware produced in association with the School of Arts had enormous success at International Exhibitions in the 1860s and 1870s, culminating in acclaim at the Philadelphia Exhibition in 1886 (and also at Chicago in 1893).
The lions are in excellent age related condition. There have been small areas of professional restoration where chipping has occurred to the plinth base and there are still some minor chips present to the plinth base.. The lions are signed H. Doulton for Henry Doulton.
*Crating is recommended for shipment.
Size: 34” Height by 12” Square (square plinth base).