Presented with pleasure is a rare French Niderviller hard-paste porcelain vase, painted in the Empire style. The cylindrical vase has a flared top decorated with a band of applied biscuit flowers surmounting hand painted classical vignettes separated by green ground panels with gilt enamel urns. The vase is stepped up in gilt banding and was produced during the heyday of the factory in the Custine/Lanfrey period, circa 1800.
The French Niderviller factory was established in 1735 and started producing earthenware. In 1748, Jean-Louis Beyerle purchased the factory and proceeded to produce wares similar and in competition with Hannong by improving the factory and hiring talented artists from Germany. Frustrated by Sevres, who was the only porcelain factory allowed to decorate with gold because of a Royal edict, Beyerle sold his interest to the Count of Custine in 1770. The Count took on partner Francois-Henri Lanfrey in 1778, who added further improvements to the production, however, the factory was affected by the Revolution and Count Custine was guillotined in 1793 leaving sole ownership to Lanfrey. With the onset of Napoleon's empire the factory once again regained its footing and production was increased. Porcelain production ceased in 1830 after the sale of the factory once again in 1827 to Louis-Guillaume Dryander. The factory continued to be purchased by other companies and is still in operation today.
The vase is in almost mint condition with a minimum amount of gilt and enamel-ware commensurate with age and minor firing chips to the top of the floral band.
Size: 5 ¼" Height by 4 5/8" Diameter.
Antiques, Decorative Items, and Fine Art for everyone- from the new collector to the connoisseur
Take an extra 15% off on any "SALE ITEM" at checkout, until the end of September!!!