Offered for sale is an early 19th century pair of Ridgway scenic dessert dishes with pierced handles. The square dishes feature a wide oyster grey scalloped border highlighted in gilt and raise decoration. Each scene depicts an ancient castle in the background of a pastoral setting.
Ridgway was first established by Job and George Ridgway in 1792 at the Bell Works in Shelton and was one of Staffordshire's earliest potteries. Job's son, John, took over the factory in 1802 and proceeded to produce china of high quality often richly painted with enamels and gilded decoration. Ridgway was later appointed as Potter to her Majesty, Queen Victoria, a commendation of great merit. Although they continued to produce items of outstanding artistic quality, the firm was eventually purchased by Royal Doulton in 1960.
The dishes are in excellent condition.
Size: 10 1/4" Width x 9 1/4" Height.