We would like to offer a beautiful pair of English Derby porcelain dinner plates, dated 1800 – 1820 with gadroon edges. The plates are decorated in underglaze cobalt blue grape leaves stepped up with gilded grapes and vines.
William Duesbury a porcelain painter from the Chelsea porcelain factory founded The Derby Company with two other partners around 1750. Duesbury, who was a talented entrepreneur quickly established Derby's reputation as a leader in the production of high quality tableware. He also acquired the Chelsea and Bow porcelain factories and incorporated them into the Derby name. In 1773, King George III was so impressed with the Derby works that he granted Duesbury the permission to incorporate the royal crown into the Derby backstamp. After Duesbury's death in 1782, the company was taken over by his equally talented son, William Duesbury II who developed a number of new glazes and body types. The company was subsequently taken over by Robert Bloor and it continued to thrive under his direction until his death in 1845. The old factory was closed in 1848. New owners acquired the works in 1877, which is officially the beginning of modern period Derby porcelain. Throughout its long and varied history, Royal Crown Derby has been known for its high-quality craftsmanship and meticulous hand decoration. It remains one of the most respected names in British ceramics.
The plates are both in excellent condition with little to no wear to the enamel or gilding. One plate exhibits a small firing crack to the rim running down about one-half inch.
Size: 10 ¼" Diameter.