Presenting a magnificent set of 10 early 20th century (circa 1902-30) Royal Doulton cabinet plates with named scenes of game birds hand painted and artist signed, S. Wilson. The plates feature deeply scalloped edges with a wide deep maroon border highlighted in raised gilt tracery and beading. Each center is painted on a soft background with different game birds, each named and titled on the back. The paintings are attributed to British artist, (Samuel) Wilson, who was well known for his paintings of animals.
The Royal Doulton factory was founded in Lambeth, London at Vauxhall Walk from a partnership established between John Doulton, Martha Jones, and John Watts. They specialized in making stoneware articles including decorative bottles and salt glazed sewer pipes. In 1871, Henry Doulton, John's son launched a studio at Lambeth pottery, and with the help of very talented artists, started to produce decorative figurines, vases, and character jugs. Now known as the Burslem factory, their products caught the attention of the Royal family, and in 1901, King Edward VII granted the factory a Royal Warrant which allowed the business to adopt new markings and a new name, Royal Doulton. During the late 19th and early 20th century their reputation grew as a prime manufacturer of fashionable and high quality bone china. The original Burslem factory ceased production in 1956, but pieces continue to be made under the parent company Waterford Wedgwood in Barlaston.
The plates are exquisite for cabinet display and a desirable addition for the collector of fine English hand painted bone china. Royal Doulton was able to employ some of the finest artists available; the beautiful paintings are both masterful and detailed and in stark contrast to the rich maroon border. They are all in excellent condition with small amounts of gilt and paint loss commensurate with age.
Size 9" Diameter.