Originally formed as the Cleveland Pottery and Tile Company by designer, potter and teacher R. Guy Cowan, the Cowan Pottery Studio, which operated from 1913 to 1931, produced outstanding and technically extraordinary pieces, which brought international recognition to American Art Pottery. The expertise of the talented artists and chemists in residence allowed them to create distinctly modern forms and glazes during its short-lived existence that have never been reproduced.
This lovely footed and scalloped ovalesque bowl, shape #741-A, designed circa 1927 and produced circa 1930, is glazed in Cowan's "April" glaze, a combination of Special Ivory with an interior lined in gorgeous April Green.
Condition is superb, free from chipping, cracking or restoration, with very faint crazing to the interior.
Marked at the base with die-impressed Cowan logo.
H 2.75", W 6.25", L 12.5", base 5.5" x 3.75".