Originally formed as the Cleveland Pottery and Tile Company by designer, potter and teacher R. Guy Cowan, the Cowan Pottery Studio, which operated from 1913 to 1931, produced outstanding and technically extraordinary pieces, which brought international recognition to American Art Pottery. The expertise of the talented artists and chemists in residence allowed them to create distinctly modern forms and glazes during its short-lived existence, which have never been reproduced.
This wonderful vase or bowl, shape #573-B produced circa 1923, was most likely intended to be used with a flower block. Glazed in Cowan's beautiful and highly iridescent "Larkspur" blue/green lustre glaze, this elegant vessel features a simple yet dramatic form with wide flaring rim.
Condition is excellent, free from chipping, cracking, crazing or restoration, with very minor age-appropriate wear common to these highly lustrous glazes.
Marked at the base with an early Cowan logo inkstamp and shape number.
H 4.75", rim 9.75", base 4".