Originally formed as the Cleveland Pottery and Tile Company by designer, potter and teacher R. Guy Cowan, the Cowan Pottery Studio, which operated from 1913 to 1931, produced outstanding and technically extraordinary pieces, which brought international recognition to American Art Pottery. The expertise of the talented artists and chemists in residence allowed them to create distinctly modern forms and glazes during its short-lived existence that have never been reproduced.
This exquisite Cowan footed bowl, shape #742-A designed circa 1927, features a scalloped ovoid floriform shape with pedestal base and delicate loop handles, finished in Cowan’s “Riviera” glaze combination of Special Ivory for the exterior, with an interior glaze of spectacular turquoise.
Condition is excellent, free from chipping, cracking or restoration, with very faint crazing to the interior, and a single glaze pop at the foot edge.
Marked at the base with the die-impressed Cowan logo.
H 3”, W 6.25”, L 12.25”, base 5.75” x 4”.