Antique jewelry object group: brooch
Condition: very good condition
Do you wish for a 360° view of this unique jewel?
Just send us your request and we’ll give you the direct link to the videoclip showing this treasure’s full splendour as no picture can.
Country of origin: Although it does not carry any legible control marks we believe this to be of Belgian origin.
- Victorian decorative arts refers to the style of decorative arts during the Victorian era. The Victorian era is known for its eclectic revival and interpretation of historic styles and the introduction of cross-cultural influences from the middle east and Asia in furniture, fittings, and Interior decoration.
Victorian design is widely viewed as having indulged in a regrettable excess of ornament. The Arts and Crafts movement, the aesthetic movement, Anglo-Japanese style, and Art Nouveau style have their beginnings in the late Victorian era.
Style specifics: We consider this to be of The Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period.
Jewelry of this period is changing back from heavy to more smaller, romantic pieces with often whimsical motifs. Jewelers using diamonds and bright gemstones in elaborated and fine feminine pieces.
Period: ca. 1900
Source of inspiration: Mother Nature
Material: 18K yellow gold (touchstone tested)
Extra information: Butterfly
- Artistic depictions of butterflies have been used in many cultures including Egyptian hieroglyphs 3500 years ago. In the ancient Mesoamerican city of Teotihuacan, the brilliantly colored image of the butterfly was carved into many temples, buildings, jewelry, and emblazoned on incense burners in particular. Today, butterflies are widely used in various objects of art and jewelry: mounted in frames, embedded in resin, displayed in bottles, laminated in paper, and used in some mixed media artworks and furnishings. Butterfly symbolism
- A butterfly was seen in Japan as the personification of a person's soul; whether they be living, dying, or already dead. One Japanese superstition says that if a butterfly enters your guestroom and perches behind the bamboo screen, the person whom you most love is coming to see you. The Russian word for "butterfly", bábochka, also means "bow tie". It is a diminutive of "baba" or "babka" (= "woman, grandmother, cake"), whence also "babushka" = "grandmother". The ancient Greek word for "butterfly" is psyche, which primarily means "soul" or "mind". According to Mircea Eliade's Encyclopedia of Religion, some of the Nagas of Manipur trace their ancestry from a butterfly. In Chinese culture, two butterflies flying together symbolize love. Also, Butterfly Lovers is a famous Chinese folktale. In some old cultures, butterflies also symbolize rebirth after being inside a cocoon for a period of time. Some people say that when a butterfly lands on you it means good luck. The idiom "butterflies in the stomach" is used to describe a state of nervousness.
Precious stones: Seven red strass stones (also called paste ) as ruby imitation and 27 seed stone pearls
Birthstones: Ruby is the birthstone (or month stone) for July and pearl for June.
Hallmarks: No trace.
Dimensions: width 4,05 cm (1,59 inch) - See picture with a ruler in cm and inches
Weight: 5,20 gram (3,34 dwt)
Adin Reference Nº: 20076-0027
- Copyright photography: Adin, fine antique jewelry
- The jewelry on our pictures is NOT Photoshopped
- Comes with certificate
Comes with certificate of authenticity. Free insured shipping.
Late Victorian 18 Karat Gold Butterfly with Red Strass Stones and Half Seed Pearls, 1900s
|Est. Tax:||We are unable to obtain a tax quote at this time.|