Cream colored porcelain with gold trim accents this 1922 commemorative oval trinket, or rosary, box made by Hutschenreuther, Selb. It was a souvenir obtained while visiting the annual passion play in Oberammergau, Bavaria. The design is raised on the lid of the box and features the head of Jesus with a crown of thorns. The box is in excellent condition measuring approximately 2 1/2" tall X 4 1/2" long and 3 1/4" across.
The Oberammergau Passion Play is a play performed continuously since 1634 as a tradition by the villagers of Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany.
In 1633, during the height bubonic plague in Europe, the residents of Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany, vowed to God, if spared from the plague ravaging the region, they would produce a play for all time depicting the life and death of Jesus. The adult death rate from plague slowly subsided in 1633. The villagers believed they had been spared by their faith and prayers and kept their part of the vow by writing and performing the play was first in 1634. Since the first production, it has been performed on open-air stages in the village. The play is a staging of Jesus' passion, covering the short final period of his life from his visit to Jerusalem and leading to his execution by crucifixion.
The tradition lives on today. However, the play is now performed only during years ending in zero.