Truly a royal company, the Royal Porcelain factory in Berlin ( Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur) was also known as the Royal Porcelain Manufactory Berlin. The KPM porcelain products are generally called Berlin porcelain. The KPM factory was founded in 1763 by King Frederick II of Prussia when he took over the factory from a Berlin business man named Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky. The king allowed the company to use his emblem, a cobalt-blue scepter. KPM was owned by seven kings and emperors until the abdication of Emperor William II in 1918.
This particular mark on this elegant Rococo cup and saucer was used from 1837 to 1844. The scepter mark is in under glaze blue and KPM on the cup with the matching saucer. The cup and saucer are a pristine deep white, the cup features a flaring tapered wide foot, deep bellied cup classic of the period that is inset above the shoulders before flaring again to the lip. The high elegant handle is rimmed with gold and wide and thin bordering accent gold finishes the simple elegance and balance of this KPM Berlin porcelain cup and saucer.
There is no damage, measurements are: 3.25 overall with 5 3/8" diameter flared deep dish saucer. This comes from the fine antique collection of a lifelong collector.