We are pleased to offer what we believe to be a very rare demitasse cup and saucer set. It was made by Wedgwood and appears to be a centennial commemorative set.
The background of the set is a creamy white color with pinkish-red designs. The saucer features an emblem in the center of an eagle with wings spread inside a decorative circle and reads: "1847 RESURGENS 1865 ATLANTA, GA". The saucer measures approximately 5" in diameter. There are two back-stamps on the saucer: "WEDGWOOD ETRURIA ENGLAND" and the "SOLE IMPORTERS" mark of a left facing lion holding a ball and standing atop a step which reads: "BOSTON". Inside the circle are the words: "JONES MCDUFFEE & STRATTON Co.". There are flowers surrounding the center and a chain-link design around the edge.
The cup features two medallions. One is the image of a mansion inside a decorative oval. The other image is also an oval and reads: "1842 Marthasville Atlanta 1942". "Marthasville" was an early name for Atlanta, Georgia. Marthasville was named for Governor Wilson Lumpkin's daughter, Martha and it was officially incorporated on December 23, 1843. The other medallion shows the image of the L.P. Grant mansion. L.P. Grant, Lemuel Pratt Grant, was an American engineer and businessman. He was Atlanta's quintessential railroad man as well as a major landowner and civic leader. The Lemuel P. Grant Mansion is a historic house located on St. Paul Avenue between Broyles and Grant streets in the Grant Park neighborhood of Atlanta. The cup measures approximately 2-1/4" in diameter at the rim X 2-1/8" H.
This rare demitasse set is in excellent condition.