We are pleased to offer a wonderful old framed hand colored lithograph. It shows several "lovers of horses" driving their trotting cracks past Turner's Hotel in south Philadelphia. The hotel is surrounded by lush trees and near an open stable. Men stand on the covered porch and converse and watch the teams including one steered by a one-armed gentleman. Near the stable, a boy and an African American man, probably a stable hand, wave their hats at the racers. Turner's Hotel was owned by John C. Turner, a professional trotter driver and sportsman. It was located on Rope Ferry Road and the trotting cracks were passing by on a dirt path after having been at a race at Point Breeze Park. The hotel had a large barn for horses and carriages, shown in the background, and its patrons, shown watching the trotters, obviously shared Turner's enthusiasm for horses and trotting cracks. It is interesting that the artist is not given, but each of the horses is identified in tiny letters in a key right below the fine lower outline of the litho.
The full title of this piece is "Trotting Cracks of Philadelphia Returning from the Race at Breeze Park, Having a Brush Past Turners's Hotel, Rope Ferry Road, Philadelphia, 1870." The remainder of the writing reads: "Respectfully Dedicated to the Lovers of Horses and the Sporting Public in general by the Publisher". Also: "Published by H. Pharazyn, 1725 Lombard Street. Entered According to Act of Congress, in the year 1870, in the District Court of The United States for Eastern District of Philadelphia."
This is an old, full color reproduction of the original art, published in the U.S.A. It is not dated. It is a highly detailed work and the colors are strong. It is mounted under fabulous reverse painted glass. The frame is a light, honey stained wood. The entire work is as we purchased it in 2003 from a fine estate. We have not taken it apart in any way.
The artwork measures approximately 21" x 18" x 7/8". It is in good condition overall.
This work was recently added to the African Americana Digital Collection through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services as administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education through the Office of the Commonwealth Libraries, and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett, Governor, 2013-2014.