An unusual server with three compartments for vegetables. Nice collectible and impressive sitting on a buffet. Most likely dated early 20th century. Includes lid with a removable handle. N.S. on the signature indicates that it is considered nickel silver. Smith was one of several companies who used English-looking hallmarks to give their items a boost in the silver competition at the turn of the century. Such pseudo marks are generally found on pieces that were manufactured during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Underlying base metal makes it a heavy piece (over 3 pounds) and measures 11-1/2 inches across the bowl from edge to edge. Some small nicks in the plate at the bottom of the bowl and does have minor use scratches. The three dividers are soldered into place and not removable. Marks on the bowl are stamped along the underside of the outer edge and read in the following order: L.B.S.Co. (cross mark, crown and shield) followed by 539 (pattern number) N.S. B12. Wonder why the handle is removable. The LBS Co. was founded in 1887 in Boston by silversmith Lawrence B. Smith. The firm manufactured silver items for nearly 70 years before closing the doors in 1958.