This meticulously hand carved walnut wood credenza buffet with green marble inserts dates to the second half of the 19th century. It can be attributed the great Ribaillier family of furniture makers and dealers, who operated in Paris during the Napoleon III period. Their pieces were often very detailed, carved from beautiful woods and incrusted with stones. They portrayed themes from Antiquity with Renaissance styling. Pierre Riballier received a silver medal at the World Exhibition for a piece of furniture bought by the Emperor, Napoleon III. Following the delivery of this piece, Napoleon III then commissioned several other items from the Maison Riballier.
The piece seen here is a wonderful example of the type of furniture that the Ribaillier House created in the mid 1800's. It has an upper body with decorated doors on the side. The front has three intricately carved doors separated by acanthus leaf pilasters. The scenes feature the ancient Gods Venus, Juno, and Mercury. The center door opens to the full interior width of the cabinet with two shelves inside. There are three drawers beneath all of this, one long drawer, flanked by two smaller. They are carved in relief and depict winged Cherubs with garlands of fruit and drapery swags. Cut green marble inserts are symmetrically placed throughout the entire cabinet. The open bottom portion has a back panel with a large diamond motif at its center. There is a continuation to the pilasters into acanthus leaf columns going to the bottom shelf. Beneath this, are three panels with motifs of demi-figures and swans, seprated by five small panels of marble. All of this rests upon four bun feet.
Stunningly beautiful, this 19th century cabinet will be the focus of any room it is placed in.
CONDITION: Good antique condition with some minor losses to crown piece. Old wood worm. Side door locks operate with original keys. No key for center door.
H=71 1/4, Maximum Width (measured at top)=59 3/4, Depth (measured at top)=21 3/4
Period Napoleon III Walnut and Marble Buffet Cabinet from France, Circa 1860