Old postcard from 1910 with a bird’s eye view at the center of Plzen ( Pilsen ) – town with the Synagogue at the center of the postcard.
Sent to Praha in 1910. There is a scratch on the surface of the postcard, otherwise fine condition.
Plzeň (German: Pilsen) is a city in western Bohemia in the Czech Republic.
The Moorish Revival Great Synagogue in Pilsen is the second largest synagogue in Europe, after the Dohány Street Synagogue in Budapest.
Plzen has a long history. Emperor Rudolf II made Plzeň his seat from 1599-1600. During the Thirty Years' War the town was taken by Mansfeld in 1618 after the Siege of Plzeň and it was not recaptured by the Imperial troops until 1621. Wallenstein made it his winter-quarters in 1633. The town was unsuccessfully besieged by the Swedes in 1637 and 1648.
On May 6, 1945, at the very end of World War II, Plzeň was liberated from Nazi Germany by the 16th Armored Division of General Patton's 3rd Army. Also participating in the liberation of the city were elements of the 97th and 2nd Infantry Divisions. Other Third Army units liberated major portions of Western Bohemia. The rest of Czechoslovakia was liberated from German control by the Soviet Red Army. Elements of Third Army remained in Plzen until late November 1945 assisting the Czechs with re-building from the war.
The Synagogue in Plzen. Vintage Postcard 1910.