Old b/w postcard depicting the Jewish synagogue in Nagyvarad in Hungary (today Romania).
Unused postcard in good condition.
Oradea, located in the north-western part of today’s Romania, is the tenth largest city of the country, and the seat of Bihor County.
Jewish presence in the region dates back since the 15th century. 1781, the year when Emperor Joseph II passed the Act of Tolerance, marked important changes in the laws affecting Jews. They included the right of enrolling Jewish children in all religious and public schools, gave Jews the right to work the land and practice many professions forbidden until then, and it mandated using German as the official language, Hebrew being reserved only for use in religious services.
In 1783, the Superior Council of War made a decree regarding the Fortress of Oradea. It was decided that the army no longer needed the Fortress and the surrounding area was to be subdivided for residential dwellings, among them dwellings for the Jews. This district known as Subcetate, by 1792 became home to 46 Jewish families, of which more than half owned their housing.
The political upheaval of the 1800s affected the Jewish population of the city. Many Jewish men participated in the Revolution of 1848 as volunteers in the Revolutionary Army.
Synagogue in Nagyvarad. Vintage Postcard from Romania.