A beautiful Victorian sterling silver gilt (tested) charm of Whippingham Church Isle Of Wight, know for its association with Queen Victoria. This is a super charm in excellent antique condition with no loss of enamel, just some loss of gilding to the reverse. It measures approx. 1.6x1.6cm and weighs 2.4g. Never seen this one before.
The village of Whippingham, and St. Mildred's Church as its parish church, are best known for their connections with Queen Victoria. Whippingham was the centre of a royal estate supporting Osborne House and Barton Manor.
Queen Victoria took a close interest in 'her people' in Whippingham. This is reflected in the many memorials in St. Mildred's Church which commemorate members of the Royal Family and household, and Prince Albert took an active role in the redesigning of the church building. The chancel of the church was built in 1854 and 1855 by the architect Albert Jenkins Humbert although Prince Albert is thought to have had a guiding hand. The remainder of the church was constructed in 1861 and 1862. A side chapel is dedicated to the Battenberg/Mountbatten family.
The church is now in a united benefice with St. James's Church, East Cowes.
7 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Vintage Jewellery Items , Rare, Antique and Vintage Collectables.