A fabulous antique sideboard made by the W. K. Cowan Company, Chicago, circa 1890-1910. The sideboard is in the federal style, solid mahogany and flame mahogany veneer, inlaid with satinwood and with ebony and boxwood stringing. Superb craftsmanship and extra large size. The sideboard is 85" wide by 30 1/2" deep by 37 1/2" high. It has a double brass linen rail on the back as well. The top central drawer is divided and felt lined for silver and one of the side cabinets also has a drawer. Condition is good but the top has some issues. We believe it could be much improved with some rubbing out. Most of the issues are heat marks though there are no actual burns. Most of the issues are surface/finish related. Please view all photos carefully. We have not polished the brass rail though that could be done at buyers request. Guaranteed to be as described.
We have other pieces to this fabulous dining set which include, 12 matching chairs, 10 sides and 2 armchairs. A smaller sideboard and extending dining table with a pedestal base which we will be listing soon. The table comes with 6 leaves and custom made pads. Please contact us if you are interested in the whole set. We have decided to list the pieces separately but would love to keep it all together. It has been in the same family as a set for almost 100 years. See below for some information on the maker.
W.K. Cowan Company, 1894 to 1916.
A Great Part of American Furniture History
A brief History of William Kennett Cowan:
W K Cowan (b 10/24/1869); Grad. Chicago Manual Training School 1889; Trained in architecture with Henry Ives Cobb (Chicago Varnish Co. Building, the Columbian Exposition, Newberry Library, Liberty Tower in Manhattan, and the King Edward Hotel in Toronto, and other notable places); Cowan designed and supervised all of the plumbing and "related fixtures" for the Columbian Exposition in 1893 Chicago.
In 1894 he started a special furniture business, which incorporated in 1901 with him as President and General Manager; by 1905 he had build one of the largest furniture factories in Chicago at 605 Lake Shore Drive at the foot of Ohio and Ontario Sts. Their Retail Store was at 203-207 Michigan Ave. This business was often called "Cowan Cabinet Made Furniture". They imported furniture until 1898 (English made, mainly). In 1898 they produced a wondrous catalog of their own furniture of hand crafted Mahogany and Circassian (European burled) Walnut with a "modest use of other decorative woods". For a while they were the top of the furniture business with retail sales outlets in big named stores throughout the USA.
They fell onto hard times and sold all their remaining inventory, etc. to the Gimbel Bros. of Philadelphia in 1916. They still maintained a small furniture business until about 1920. Mr. Cowan died at his home (1422 N. State St. Chicago)in 1928.
A note to our international buyers: We welcome international buyers but please be aware that any and all import duties, taxes, Vats, etc. are the responsibility of the buyer. In addition, it is a federal offense to falsify customs forms. Please do not ask us to do so.