An amazing dining room set made by Cowan Company, Chicago, Il, circa 1900. The set includes two sideboards, 12 chairs, and a dining table with six leaves. We have each piece listed separately but we would love to sell the set as a whole. It has been in one family it's whole life! The pieces are listed below individually, with a history of the company that made the set following the descriptions. The set is guaranteed to be as described. The set is priced at $18,300 individually but we are listing the entire set here for one low price of $8,995.00. We really want to keep it together!
1. The larger sideboard is in the federal style, solid mahogany and flame mahogany veneer, inlaid with satinwood and with ebony and boxwood stringing. Superb craftsmanship and extra large size. The sideboard is 85" wide by 30 1/2" deep by 37 1/2" high. It has a double brass linen rail on the back as well. The top central drawer is divided and felt lined for silver and one of the side cabinets also has a drawer. We have not polished the brass rail though that could be done at buyers request.
2. The smaller sideboard in the federal style is solid mahogany with crotch mahogany veneers, inlaid with satinwood, and with ebony and boxwood stringing throughout. It is 60" wide by 36" high (not including the back splash) by 24" deep. Extremely well made. All original condition and hardware.
3. The extending dining table in solid mahogany with mahogany veneers, satinwood inlay and burl walnut. The table is 60" round and it comes with 6 leaves, all of which are inlaid on the top to match the table. 2 of the additional leaves also have the skirt. The leaves come in a wooden cabinet for storage. The table also comes with custom table pads which are also stored in their own cabinet. This is truly an amazing set. Underneath the top are four legs that fold down to hold the table when it is extended.
4. 12 matching dining chairs. The set includes 2 armchairs and 10 side chairs. The chairs are solid mahogany and flame mahogany veneer, with satinwood inlay and boxwood and ebony stringing. They are all in good to excellent condition. Space does not allow for photographing of the entire set but the chairs that are pictured are very representative of the set. The one armchair pictured is in the worst condition of the 12. It has been repaired on both arms but is now sturdy. Please view all photos. The armchairs are 23" wide at the front by 40" high at the back by 18" deep. Floor to seat height is 18-19". The side chairs are slightly smaller proportions, by about 2".
W.K. Cowan Company, 1894 to 1916.
A Great Part of American Furniture History
A brief History of William Kennett Cowan:
W K Cowan (b 10/24/1869); Grad. Chicago Manual Training School 1889; Trained in architecture with Henry Ives Cobb (Chicago Varnish Co. Building, the Columbian Exposition, Newberry Library, Liberty Tower in Manhattan, and the King Edward Hotel in Toronto, and other notable places); Cowan designed and supervised all of the plumbing and "related fixtures" for the Columbian Exposition in 1893 Chicago.
In 1894 he started a special furniture business, which incorporated in 1901 with him as President and General Manager; by 1905 he had build one of the largest furniture factories in Chicago at 605 Lake Shore Drive at the foot of Ohio and Ontario Sts. Their Retail Store was at 203-207 Michigan Ave. This business was often called "Cowan Cabinet Made Furniture". They imported furniture until 1898 (English made, mainly). In 1898 they produced a wondrous catalog of their own furniture of hand crafted Mahogany and Circassian (European burled) Walnut with a "modest use of other decorative woods". The Univ. of CA has an online digitized copy:- its worth ogling. For a while they were the top of the furniture business with retail sales outlets in big named stores throughout the USA.
They fell onto hard times and sold all their remaining inventory, etc. to the Gimbel Bros. of Philadelphia in 1916. They still maintained a small furniture business until about 1920. Mr. Cowan died at his home (1422 N. State St. Chicago)in 1928.