American wall regulator no. 8 by Gilbert with 12" porcelain dial and deadbeat escapement and gridiron pendulum, circa 1910. A one year warranty is available at additional cost. Dimensions: 103"H x 33"W
The Gilbert Clock Company was one of America’s giants in the industry, spanning over 130 years. It started its long history in December of 1828 with William L. Gilbert (1806-1890) who had been involved in various clockmaking partnerships in Bristol, Farmington and Winsted, Connecticut. In 1871, the William L Gilbert Clock Co was formed to succeed the Gilbert Manufacturing Company (1866-1871) after a fire destroyed the factory. Over the next 50 years, the Gilbert Clock Company, under the leadership of George B. Owen (1834-1916) designed many interesting cases and patented several clock movement features. William L. Gilbert died in 1890, but the company retained its name and continued operations under Owen until 1900.
After the turn of the century, the company continued profitably and added more buildings and a larger inventory of clocks until the recession of 1907. The company was eventually able to pay off its debts under the new management of Charles E Williams. In 1934, a new firm known as the William L. Gilbert Clock Corporation was formed to succeed the earlier company. It was one of the few firms allowed to continue clockmaking during World War II because it was able to manufacture clocks without metal cases, having installed machinery in 1940 to produce cases from moulded papier mache. The Depression forced the company into receivership and financial problems continued to plague the company even after the war.
Over the 130 plus year history of the Gilbert Clock Company, many fine clocks were made. Their styles varied from kitchen and schoolhouse to regulators and calendar clocks. Gilbert clocks are a good choice for collectors, as they are ever-increasing slowly in value. Although not as plentiful as some of the other American clocks, they can be found with a little diligence.