This item from Two For His Heels is now SOLD.
More from Two For His Heels
Victorian Walnut Games Compendium w/ Leather Game Boards, Steeplechase Game, Staunton-Type Chess Set, Checkers, Dominoes, Bezique Cards (2) and Markers, Whist Cards (3) and Markers, Dice and Dice Cups, c.1870-1890
Beautiful Victorian walnut games compendium, made in Britain c.1870-1890. It is the same size and look, and has very similar contents, to a type of Victorian games compendium called the "Royal Cabinet of Games," made by different makers. However, there is nothing on the cabinet with that title or to indicate a maker, and I am reluctant to describe this compendium using that name. It has 2 lift out trays, a tray structure at the bottom for contents, and 2 fold out doors for the chess pieces. There is another very similar box for sale in this shop that is less expensive, because in my opinion the box and its contents are not as good as this one (T00002945). THIS IS NOT THAT OTHER BOX.
The compendium comes with the following, all of which were in the box when it came to me:
● A gorgeous folding leather game board that serves as 3 different boards depending upon how it is folded: a board for a steeplechase game; a board for chess/checkers; and a board for backgammon. It fits in a recessed compartment to the underside of the lid of the box.
● Wonderful pieces for the steeplechase game, including 6 horses and jockeys, a hedge, a fence and a water hazard to jump over. These pieces are made of lead and painted.
● A wood chess set, Staunton style design to the pieces.
● A wood set of draughts/checkers, with royal crowns embossed on one side. There are 15 red pieces and 14 black, suggesting to me that there is a black piece missing. The chess/checkers board is an 8 x 8 board for English draughts or American checkers, requiring only 12 pieces per side. However, my understanding is that backgammon requires 15 pieces per side, which means that this set of checkers is one short if to be used for backgammon.
● A fine set of double six dominoes, 28 pieces complete.
● Dice (4) and a pair of dice shakers made of wood.
● 3 decks of De La Rue whist cards, dating to the late 19th century, with 2 Goodall whist markers, made of wood.
● 2 decks (different backs) of De La Rue bezique cards, in pristine condition, with 2 black leather De La Rue bezique counters.
The compendium and all contents are in excellent condition, except as follows:
● There is a crack at the base of one side of the box that runs for about 3 inches and appears to have been the subject of a repair. It does not affect the box at all, but it is there.
● The front legs of one of the horses appear to have broken off at about the knee and were glued on. The glue holds, but does not support the legs and they are "flat."
● 2 of the 3 whist decks have wear and light soiling, and the condition of them should be described as good to very good.
That's it. This is a terrific box with superb contents. If you desire further information or additional photos, please let me know.
Thanks for visiting.
If you were the pending buyer of this item, go to My Account to view, track and check payment for this item.