Historic "Santa Fe Railroad & The Chief" marked promotional Double Dial 30 Day Calendar Clock in a New Haven "Rutland" Model Oak Case Circa 1914 !!!
See last B. & W. photo of the Historical "Williams Junction Depot" in Arizona, aka "Gateway to the Grand Canyon".
Santa Fe Railroad Provenance ;
This clock has a Santa Fe Property Number & Location "Sticker" located on the inside lower left of case from the Historic "Williams Junction Station 17-A." There is also a faint matching Die Stamped property Number "17-A" on the right side edge of the wood Case.
Authentic Promotional Artist painted "The Chief" one of three Santa Fe Logo's on the Calendar Dial with one of their Round Gold & White "+" Symbols in the background.
(Railroads back in the 1930's didn't order 50 Logo Stickers from a Thrift Store to upgrade a Dial, they had to hire an Artist to Hand-Paint each Dial individually, unless it was a a whole Paper Dial Printed by a Printing Press with 1 or 2 colors)
"El Capitan, The Chief, and Super Chief" were all promotional Names used for their Newest Streamlined Locomotive & Passenger Cars starting in the late 1930's,
Clock is a Double Dial Calendar Clock in the Rare New Haven "Rutland" Model case in a Solid Golden Oak Case with Nickel Plated Dial Bezels, and Brass Pendulum Bob. This New Haven Double Dial Calendar Clocks was retailing for $18.00 dollars when it was first listed back in the 1914 catalogs.
Original 30 Day Brass double spring powered Movement with Cam Drop-Off for date shifting wire linkage. Calendar Movement is Triple Die Stamped "New Haven" Logo at bottom center of front plate, and "Patented Jan. 19,92" lower right Pat'd "England Dec.5,83". Seen in close up photos.
Condition and Technical Notes : Near Mint Golden Oak Case, Running Movement, with normal wear & aging of Dials. Movement has just been Ultrasonically Cleaned, and professionally serviced on 11-07-16 and is running accurately. Clock & Calendar are currently complete and working, However I do Not guarantee any Calendar movements after shipping, since they almost always need simple re-adjusting afterwards.
Measurements : Overall 48 inches High, 19 1/2 inches Wide, and 6 1/2 inches Deep at the top Carved Crest.
Identified New Haven Clock Model Ref. Book ; "New Haven Clocks" / By : Tran / Page ; 80 / illustration : # 268
Satisfaction Guaranteed for a 7 day Inspection Period for this clock, with a "No questions asked Full item Refund".
(Less packing & shipping fees not refundable)
Historical Notes ; Williams Junction, Arizona, Depot for the Santa Fe Railroad ; aka "Gateway to the Grand Canyon"
Original WILLIAMS DEPOT ;
Built in 1908 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, the depot was an oasis for travelers heading to and from California along the main line running from Los Angeles to Chicago. It was home to one the Harvey House Hotels, which had 43 rooms, as well as a formal dining room, cafe, bar and a news room. The train's only noted drawback was the connection at William's Station, at least for travelers aboard the westbound leg. Train #23 arrived at 10:30 PM for the departure north but to keep costs down and operations efficient the railroad had the train wait for the arrival of eastbound #24 at 3:40 AM. From that point the northbound section to the South Rim departed at 4:15 AM and arrived at the canyon by sunrise at 7:00 AM. As ridership declined the Grand Canyon lost its South Rim section during 1968, after which time travelers could catch a bus to the park. Despite waning patronage the train remained part of Santa Fe's fleet until the end, making its final run the day before Amtrak on April 30, 1971. Today, you can still travel by train to the South Rim thanks to the popular Grand Canyon Railway which provides top-notch accommodations (including dome cars) that are sometimes powered by steam locomotives.
Past Santa Fe Railroad to Current "Grand Canyon Railway" :
The Grand Canyon was part of the Santa Fe's transcontinental fleet serving California and Chicago, which included names like the El Capitan, “The Chief”, Super Chief, and others. The Grand Canyon, of course, was named after one of our country's great natural wonders that passengers could reach directly by rail through a connection at Williams junction, Arizona. After providing service to the national park via other trains for more than two decades, complete with its own resort, the AT&SF inaugurated the Canyon during the late 1920s. Despite retentions in rail service after World War II the Santa Fe continued offering travel to the park until the coming of Amtrak in 1971 (albeit by bus only during the final years). Today, one can still enjoy riding the rails directly to the canyon by way of the Grand Canyon Railway.
Today : “Grand Canyon Railway” departs each day from the historic Williams Depot, located at the south end of the rail line. The depot is where passengers of Grand Canyon Railway pick up their tickets. There is also an expansive gift shop in the depot full of Grand Canyon Railway and Grand Canyon mementos. The oldest poured-concrete structure in the state of Arizona, the Williams Depot and the original Fray Marcos Hotel are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Shipping ; Can ship out the next Business Day following a Sunday, after removal from a Sunday's Only Antique Mall in Adamstown,Pa.