This is a German earthenware ewer vase dating to the 19th century. The maker is Wachtersbach Earthenware Factory. The date range is 1861 to 1873.
The Wachtersbach Earthenware Factory was located in Hesse, Germany, in the Schlierbach Valley. The factory was founded in 1832 by Count Adolf and other partners. The son, Count (and eventual Prince) Ferdinand Maximilian became the sole owner of the factory in 1847. In 1909, the company became a corporation.
The material composition of the ewer is earthenware, somewhat similar to soft paste porcelain.
There is a mold line down each side, the side with the handle and the side with the spout.
The ewer is 12" high, 7 ¼" wide and 2 ½" deep.
The inside and underside is a cream glaze. The outside is a cream ground.
From the edge of the foot, the painting goes up the front, showing large colorful purple flowers and large leaves in green, brown and purple, with lines of gold. Two small song birds are perched on twigs on the front of the ewer. The bird in back is painted in shades of blue, yellow, brown and black, and the bird in front is all in gold. The flowers and leaves are painted on the back and up under the spout.
The handle is trimmed in gold, with only a little bit of age wear. The rim of the mouth was trimmed in gold too, but most of it is worn away due to age and wear. There is age wear to the foot rest on the underside.
There are no chips, nicks, cracks or crazing.
The black overglaze mark is faded with age. It should show as a crown perched on top of a double circle with jagged sides and containing the word Wachtersbach and the letters WST. There is a black overglaze mark of a double circle containing the word "musterschutz", which simply translates as "protected against copying." There is an incised number of 427. There is an hand enameled number in black of 2891 and another one of 132.