Scarce document dated August 14th 1846 from Fort Polk, Texas. The content is the 4th infantry request for supplies for their upcoming encounters with the Mexicans. The quarter master of the 4th infantry was none other than U.S.Grant.
In 1840 the government of the Republic of Texasqv debated the construction of a fort on the north end of Brazos Island in what is now Cameron County, six miles north of the Rio Grande at Brazos Santiago Pass. This installation would not only have controlled navigation through the vital pass between Padre and Brazos islands, but would also have established a Texas military presence in the disputed territory below the Nueces River. Since the site lay 120 miles to the south of the nearest white Texan settlement, however, only nominally in Texas territory and on the site of Brazos de Santiago, a customhouse and outpost of the Mexican army, the planned fort never materialized. But in 1846, with the heightening of international tension after the annexationqv of Texas to the United States, Maj. Gen. Zachary Taylor'sqv army of observation marched to the Rio Grande and established itself opposite Matamoros, from where it drove the Mexican garrison at Brazos Santiago back across the Rio Grande while converting the Mexican installation to an arsenal. On March 6 Taylor's men established a military depot near the Brazos Santiago arsenal and named it Fort Polk, in honor of the president of the United States.
5 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Here we have the Best from People now at Rest
Selling Great items People said they couldn't live without !