This very lovely little Lord Nelson Ware creamer was produced by the Elijah Cotton Ltd. Pottery. It is decorated with a large pink rose and gold chintz. It has the manufacturer’s back stamp on the bottom. The creamer probably dates to around the 1950’s.
It is in nice vintage condition having no cracks, chips or stains.
It measures approximately 3” wide, 4 3/4” from spout to handle and is 2 1/4” high.
Lord Nelson Ware was a trade name used by the Elijah Cotton Ltd. Pottery at Hanley, Stoke on Trent.
Elijah Cotton started his business in 1880 at the Lichfield Street Works, Eastwood, Hanley. He outgrew these works and in 1885 built the Nelson Pottery on the corner of Nelson Road and Commercial Road. This was a large works alongside the Caldon Canal, built on the site of a former pottery established in 1758.
The business continued to grow and acquired another works - an existing works on the corner of Broad Street and Victoria Road, Shelton.
Elijah Cotton died in 1895. It was later said of him that he was "a man of great individuality who, by his own efforts and the driving force of his strong personality, eventually became one of the leading manufacturers in the Potteries".
The business remained in the family and was run by Elijah's eldest son Edward and by 1956 was still actively run by one of Elijah's sons, Arthur assisted by his own son Nigel.
Inv. Loc. PB Green Cont. RB 19.
Thank you for looking in our shop and please bookmark our page for easier return visits. We will gladly combine orders wherever possible to save on shipping costs. We offer an interest free monthly installment layaway plan for items over $100.