Early Childs Ironstone Doll Dinner Set
MATLOCK ~ Greek Key
Ridgway ~ Staffordshire, England c. 1870
This is a child's transfer printed dinner service made for dollhouse play. The 30-piece set dates to c 1870. The color is a rich sepia brown on ironstone abundantly decorated with an earthy oversized Greek key border pattern signed Matlock, a fine example of Victorian design, capturing the British love of nature and the exotic. It was made by Ridgway (or Ridgway Sparks and Ridgway) pottery makers in Stoke-on-Trent in the Staffordshire region of England. The set is marked with the pattern name and an impressed 1871 date stamp.
The set is comprised of:
· 4 Luncheon Plates 3-3/4 inches in diameter
· 4 Pie Plates 3-1/8 inches in diameter
· 4 Dinner Plates 4-3/8 inches in diameter with deep well (1 small chip on one plate
· 2 Sauce Pitchers 2-1/2 inches tall, 4 inches long (small old chip on each foot)
· Open Vegetable Bowl 4-5/8 inches long
· 4 Graduated platters 8 inch, 6 inches, and 2@5 inches (small chip on one 5 inch platter)
· 2 Fish Shaped Relish Dishes 3 inches long (old chip on one tail)
· 2 lidded Vegetable Tureens 5 inches long, 2-1/2 inches tall (small old chip and line on lids)
· Lidded Tureen with Undertray 3 inches tall, 4-1/2 inches long (chip on foot of base, 2 lines on lid), and
· 2 extra undertrays 7 inches and 4-1/2 inches long.
The set is in overall very good, played with condition, as described in detail above. No other chips or cracks or repairs. The set has the usual "in the making" imperfections typical of these early toy tea sets; it was made for children and probably considered disposable. Overall a wonderful and unusual find, sold as is.
Early childrens and miniature transferware of this quality is quite scarce and highly sought after. The brown transfer is earthy and striking, making a stunning complement to any collection of early colored transferware or any early children's wares, and the pattern makes splendid gift!
18 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Whimsical quirky and irresistible antique gifts for children of all ages
Summer Sale ~ Come and See What's Hot!