Rare Child's BLUE FEATHERED EDGE Miniature Ironstone 48pc Dinner Service
Minton Staffordshire England c 1820
This is a very early miniature ironstone dinner set made for childs play or to accessorize an elegant Victorian dollhouse. The set is made of early English ironstone, decorated with simple yet elegant transfer printed feather edge design in blue. A beautiful example of early 19th century miniature blue and white ironstone made for a childs dinner party and doll house play.
Some of the pieces have impressed numbers of 12 and 13. Two pieces are marked with a printed backstamp that reads TRENT which may refer to an unrecorded pattern name, or possibly is a simple reference to the location of the Staffordshire pottery in Stoke on Trent in England. Similar dinner sets in Lechler’s book English Toy China and Punchard’s book Playtime Pottery & Porcelain from the UK and US illustrate examples of the same form by Minton.
The set includes:
• Soup tureen with lid, ladle and underplate, 3 1/2" tall, 5 1/2" long (ladle has been broken in half and reglued);
• 2 square lidded vege tureens, 4” across, 3 3/4" tall (edge wear, small chip on edge of each lid);
• 2 open vegetable serving tureens, 4 3/8” long (edge wear);
• 2 gravy boats, 2 1/2" tall, 3 3/4" long;
• 2 small relish plates, 3” oblong;
• Fruit comport or saladier bowl, 1 1/2” tall, 3 1/4" across top (tiny flake on foot);
• 7 graduated platters , 3 1/2" – 6” long;
• 12 dinner plates, 4” diameter (1 hairline);
• 5 small plates, 2 3/4" diameter;
• 6 soups plate, 4” diameter (1 small under rim chip); and
• 6 medium plates, 3 1/4” diameter.
As described above, the set was played with by generations of children yet is in very good overall condition with only the minor lines and flakes stated above. Minor firing imperfections original to the making. Rough spots on some of the rims, and minor discoloration on a few of the pieces, typical age related wear from prior use. This is a rare set with many pieces, an extremely hard to find set.
20 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Whimsical quirky and irresistible antique gifts for children of all ages
Summer Sale ~ Come and See What's Hot!