This item from Childhood Antiques is now in the Shop Backroom.
More from Childhood Antiques
Child's Blue Staffordshire Transferware Dinner Service
Thomas Dimmock Staffordshire, England c. 1840
This is a scarce miniature child's transferware dinner set, circa 1840. The color of the set is a rich cobalt blue, finished with a faint pearlware glaze.
These very early pieces are exact miniature versions of the adult-sized dinner service made in the same pattern, with elaborate scalloped rims, pedestal bases and fancy shaped handles and finials. The set includes serving pieces as well as 1 ladle, the most coveted piece that is nearly always missing from these early sets.
The set is comprised of:
• 4-PIECE TUREEN WITH LID, UNDERTRAY and LADLE, Rectangular shape, 4 1/2" long, 3 3/4" tall, ladle is 3” long (all measurements approximate)
• 2 3-PIECE SAUCER TUREENS with LIDS and UNDERTRAY 4 1/2" across, 3 1/2" tall (fleabite on foot of one base)
• 2 2-PIECE COVERED TUREENS with LIDS, 2” tall, 4 1/2" across (fleabite on foot of one base)
• OPEN VEGETABLE SERVER, 4 1/2" long
• TALL COMPORT OR WINE COOLER, 2 1/4" tall (glaze flake on handle)
• 2 GRAVY BOATS, 2 1/4" tall 3 1/4" long
• 5 GRADUATED PLATTERS (3x5", 4 1/2", 4")
• 8 DINNER PLATES, 4" in diameter
• 8 SOUP PLATES, 4" in diameter (1 hairline)
• 8 SIDE PLATES 3" in diameter and
• 8 PIE PLATES 2 3/4" in diameter.
The set is decorated in the classically beautiful DIMITY pattern featuring an overall sheet print of stars and dots and a fancy scrolled border. The pieces from the set are unmarked. The pattern is widely attributed to Thomas Dimmock, a pottery manufacturer in the Staffordshire region of England who made adult sized transfer printed wares from 1828 - 1859. He made few of these miniature sets.
The set is in great condition with only the minor damage listed above. The set has very few of the usual minor imperfections (stilt marks, stray splotches of paint, glaze ponding, enlarged stilt marks) found in children's wares of this era, original to the making, adding to the authenticity and the naive charm. We have attempted to be 100% accurate in listing the condition issues; if you require additional detailed information or more photos, please contact us. The condition is outstanding considering the age of the set and use by generations of children. Offered as is.
Miniature dinner sets and early table wares in green transferware patterns are hard to find and highly sought after in such great condition! This will make a stunning addition to any collection of children's dishes, and would also make a fantastic and unique doll house accessory.
If you are the pending buyer of this item, go to My Account to view, track and pay for this item.
Pearlware Miniature Dinner Set c1840 Dimmock Dimity Staffordshire
$1,035 USD SALE PENDING
Whimsical quirky and irresistible antique gifts for children of all ages
FREE Domestic Shipping and SALE prices on every purchase through December 15th. Come see what's in store!