This old flag is an estate item that belonged to my family. We believe it dates from the 1940s, World War II era. It has seen a good deal of use, hung vertically on the front porch of our home, between tall columns. There was never a flag pole, so it was never out in the weather. We pinned it to a clothesline to get the best views for this listing.
There are two metal grommets, one at each end of the strong edge binding, securely fastened in the cloth. The stars are applied, each stitched individually onto the blue background.
SIZE is a harder to find one: Approximately 55 inches tall by 93 inches wide (4 feet 7 inches tall by 7 feet 9 inches wide). Each stripe is 4-1/2 inches wide. Each star is 2-1/2 inches across. The canton is 37 inches wide by 31 inches tall.
The label on the edge binding says STERLING ALL WOOL DOUBLE WARP BUNTING, identifying it as having been made by Annin Flagmakers, located in New York City at the time. "Sterling" was one of the highest quality fabrics they used for flags. (Double warp refers to the style of weaving in which a fabric with two right sides and no wrong side are created, by utilizing one warp and two sets of wefts in the weaving process. It is especially favored for making flags, in which each side is as important as the other.)
This amazing fabric is incredibly strong -- SEE OUR PICTURES -- the weave is coarse, so that you can almost see through it - light does shine through it! Yet there are incredibly few holes.
CONDITION: The white fabric has darkened with age, to a pale tan color. The red and blue as as bright and strong as ever. The workmanship on this flag is incredible: with the exception of ONE small rip (SEE OUR PICTURE), there are NO broken or missing stitches - seams are triple sewn. An extra triangle of cloth has been added at stress points. The seams are all flat-felled with no raw edges showing. There is damage -- holes in the fabric from moths and apparently the rip int he seam which has a hole near it.
BACKGROUND: Founded in 1847 by Alexander Annin, the business was previously a ship chandler on Fulton Street, New York City in the 1820s. By 1847, Annin Flagmakers turned to manufacturing all flags and was soon taken over and run by Alexander's two sons, Benjamin and Edward. Located at 99-101 Fulton Street in Lower Manhattan from 1847 until 1925, the location became known as “Old Glory Corner”. Needing more space, Annin opened a location on Fifth Avenue at the corner of 16th Street. The showroom, corporate offices and custom sewing department moved to this space in 1910 and remained until 1960 when the offices moved to New Jersey.
One of Annin's early commissions was flags for the inauguration of Zachary Taylor as President of the United States in 1849. In the 1860s, the U.S. Signal Corps requisitioned all its wartime flags from Annin Flagmakers for the Civil War. Annin supplied the flags for the inauguration of Abraham Lincoln and the flag that draped his casket as it was taken by train from Washington, D.C. to Illinois. The flag raised by US Marines atop Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima in 1945 reportedly was made by Annin, and the NASA Apollo space program utilized Annin flags for missions including the Apollo 11 mission to the moon in 1969. The company is still in business, with two sixth-generation family members at the helm.
48-Star American Flag by Annin Flagmakers Sterling Bunting World War II Era Old Glory