This drop forged steel wrench was made for the New York Central between 1935 and 1968, when the NYC referred to itself as the New York Central System. It is highly appealing with not only a NYCS stamp but the J. H. Williams Company mark, including their Diamond-W logo, and the tool number all strongly showing on one side.
What an attractive display it would make on a train room wall, or on a chimney above the mantel of a tool collector's home!
In addition to the NYCS and maker information, this wrench is stamped on the other side: 13/16 and 5/8 denoting the size nuts it will work with. And on the 13/16 end it is further stamped HARDENED beside a cast XT.
SIZE is approximately 12 inches total length and 1/4 inch thick on the center portion. The ends are fully 7/16 inch thick.
Nothing but quality for the New York Central: The Williams company's beginning was in 1882, when James Harvey Williams and Matthew Diamond founded a drop forging business in Flushing, Queens, New York, which they named Williams & Diamond. The operation was relocated to Brooklyn in 1884 and took the name J.H. Williams & Co in 1887, then incorporated in 1895 with Mr Williams becoming president. The company was reportedly the first in the USA to offer mass-produced, drop-forged hand tools. A second factory was opened in Buffalo, New York in 1914 and the company grew rapidly, moving their headquarters there in 1919. Recognized for the quality and integrity of the products, they also were a national leader in exemplary relationships with employees, including a focus on safety and comfort in the workplace, providing benefits and separate insurance and pension systems.