This wonderful little 1800s glass shaker was made by J. H. Hobbs, Brockunier and Company around 1880-1890. The pattern name is Ring Neck, with a thick collar around the top and gracefully fluted sides that set off rich, appealing cranberry color, deeper hued at the top and fading to clear at the bottom.
Wouldn't it be absolutely perfect on a breakfast table, filled with cinnamon sugar for toast or cereal? or at a party, filled with powdered sugar to sprinkle on an elegant dessert?
This shaker is approximately 3.25 inches tall (with cap). It was made with a two-piece mold; the marks show down the sides. The top rim has been factory ground.
The glass top is in fine condition with only tiny surface scuffs. There are NO chips, NO cracks, NO flakes and NO repairs.
The threaded cap goes on perfectly and fits tightly. The cap is old, with light surface scuffs and rubs but NO dents and NO corrosion. It is tin (a magnet sticks) and is VERY PROBABLY original, but we can't be absolutely positive.
This little shaker would be a gem in any collection -- the only flaws we can find are perhaps two or three lightest surface marks, but they do not show unless you pick it up and then look very hard to find them.
BACKGROUND Per Wikipedia: With a world-wide distribution, J. H. Hobbs, Brockunier and Company was one of the largest and best known manufacturers of glass in the United States in the 19th century. The company is responsible for one of the greatest innovations in American glassmaking—an improved formula for lime glass that enabled American glassmakers to produce high-quality glass at a lower cost. The firm also was responsible for developing many of the talented glassmakers who went on to start glass factories in Ohio and Indiana.
The firm was first organized as Barnes and Hobbs in 1845 by James B. Barnes and John L. Hobbs, both of whom had held supervisory positions at the New England Glass Company in Massachusetts before starting their own business venture. in a small community near Wheeling, Virginia. Over the next 50 years the firm was reorganized multiple times, but members of the Hobbs family were always part of the ownership. The most famous iteration of the company was J. H. Hobbs, Brockunier and Company. This version of the firm was organized in 1863 as a co-partnership between John L. Hobbs, his son John H. Hobbs, and Charles W. Brockunier. Its products were mostly pressed and blown tableware.
In 1891, the Hobbs glass works joined the United States Glass Company trust, and in 1893, it closed, remaining closed until 1902 when the property was sold to Harry Northwood—a former employee of J. H. Hobbs, Bruckunier & Company.
RAILROAD Memorabilia & Antiques + Americana: Dog, Cat, Kitchenware, Restaurant Collectibles
EVERY ITEM SATISFACTION GUARANTEED ~ Multi-Purchase Discounts ~ Layaways ~ Ask For Our Best Price (Offers are Welcome) !