Here is a very nice switch key from the Erie Railroad. It displays really well and would be a great addition to any collection.
It is stamped ERIE RR in large block letters on one side of the bow. On the other is an S for switch, and a LARGE "ADLAKE" stamp, which dates it to the earlier 1900s - 1920s era.
The barrel end and bit edges are nicely rounded, authenticating use. There is just some slight wear on the stamping from pocket or finger polish. There are surface dings from use, and some light discoloration spotting here and there, but nothing worse.
The Erie Railroad was a railroad that operated in the northeastern United States from 1832 until 1960. It was built to connect Jersey City, New Jersey (and the New York City metropolitan area) with Lake Erie. It expanded west to Chicago with a 1941 merger with the former Atlantic & Great Western Railroad, also known as the New York, Pennsylvania & Ohio Railroad. Importantly for the Southern Tier of New York state, the Erie's mainline route proved influential in the development and economic growth of that entire region including cities such as Binghamton, Elmira, and Hornell. The Erie prospered over ensuring years, doing well in the 20th century, until the mid-1950s, when it began an irreversible decline. By 1959, the Erie was posting deficits. Attempts to rejuvenate included exploring doing business with the nearby Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad (DL&W). After a number of successful business consolidations led to merger talks, on October 17, 1960, the two railroads merged to create the Erie Lackawanna Railroad.
Most of the former Erie line between Hornell and Binghamton was destroyed in 1972 by the floods of Hurricane Agnes. What was left of the Erie Lackawanna became part of Conrail in 1976. In 1983, Erie remnants became part of New Jersey Transit rail operations, including parts of its Main Line. Today, most of the surviving Erie Railroad routes are operated by the Norfolk Southern Railway.