This is exceedingly hard to find china pattern from the Delaware & Hudson Railroad. Named Plattsburgh for the northernmost city on the D&H's New York route, our platter is dated in the 19-teens, during the time the D&H was restructuring itself as a railroad and leaving the canal business.
This platter is in incredibly fine condition, near mint, with only a very few -- if any -- surface marks. We tilted it in bright light and could not find more than perhaps two or three. There are NO cracks, chips, flakes or repairs. The ware is brilliant white with strong blue bands, with two D&H employees depicted on either side of a "the D&H" script brown shield logo. On the left is a coal miner holding a pickax; on the right a railroad conductor holds a lantern. A coal loading chute sits atop the shield. Helping to narrow the time frame** is "The Delaware & Hudson Company" printed in unbelievably clear letters across the light blue banner under the men's feet.
SIZE is approximately 11 inches long by 8 inches wide, a medium size perfect to display behind smaller items.
On the underside, this platter is stamped with the OPCO/Syracuse China mark of its maker, and is impressed with a number within a diamond. That number could be either 19 or 61 -- we cannot tell. If it is 19, then the manufacture date is July, 1913. If it is 61, then the manufacture date is January, 1917.
Either case makes it a true antique, over 100 years old, and a rare find that would enhance any better collection of railway dining car china.
** The Delaware & Hudson began in 1826 as the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company Gravity Railroad, incorporated and chartered with land grant rights in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania as a subsidiary of the Delaware & Hudson Canal. It began as the second longest U. S. gravity railroad, built initially to haul coal to canal boats, and was the second railway chartered in the United States (the first was the Mohawk & Hudson Rail Road), even before the Baltimore & Ohio, which came into existence in 1827.
Known as the D&H Canal Company from 1823 to 1898, during which its main emphasis was on water transportation, the operation restructured in 1898, becoming The D&H Company, which existed until 1928. Then, in 1928, it reorganized as the D&H Railroad, which operated until 1967. In 1968 it was restructured again, into the D&H Railway.
15 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
RAILROAD Memorabilia & Antiques + Americana: Dog, Cat, Kitchenware, Restaurant Collectibles
EVERY ITEM SATISFACTION GUARANTEED ~ Multi-Purchase Discounts ~ Layaways ~ Ask For Our Best Price (Offers are Welcome) !