SEVERAL AVAILABLE: Here is one of the little tin lithographed signs that were used by the State of New York before 1970. They would be nailed to trees by Conservation Department staff along state-owned streams and other bodies of water where the public was invited to fish. Their crisp, bright yellow on black graphics colors were readily visible.
The fish is a trout, artfully captured leaping to grab for a fisherman's lure. Stamped so the body is raised out of the black background giving it depth and dimension, it's an attractive, creative design.
SIZE is approximately 3.5 inches across.
CONDITION is extremely nice. These signs have been used, apparently removed from where they were mounted in the field, but they were CAREFULLY removed and the only hint is some very slight wear in the mounting holes and that they are not perfectly flat. There are a few surface blemishes, but NO serious bends, splits or breaks or paint loss. The backs are solid green.
BACKGROUND: The Conservation Department was a governmental agency operated by the State of New York between 1926 and 1970. With an eye for regulating fish and game, the state established the Fisheries, Game and Forest Commission in 1895 to oversee hunting and fishing regulations and work against poaching. In 1911, the FG&FC was combined with several other commissions, and renamed the Conservation Commission. In 1926, after modernizing and upgrading, the commission was renamed the New York State Conservation Department, which lasted more than 40 years until 1970, when the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation was created
RAILROAD Memorabilia & Antiques + Americana: Dog, Cat, Kitchenware, Restaurant Collectibles
EVERY ITEM SATISFACTION GUARANTEED ~ Multi-Purchase Discounts ~ Layaways ~ Ask For Our Best Price (Offers are Welcome) !